Energy Services is designed to assist in meeting energy needs with low-income households and encouraging consumers to control energy costs through energy education.
What we offer
TCOG's Energy Services department includes utility and weatherization services.
Utility assistance provides co-payment of utilities and the provision of supportive services in an effort to transition low-income families out of poverty and off of public assistance.
Counties served: Collin, Cooke, Denton, Fannin, Grayson, Hunt, Rockwall
Utility assistance includes the co-payment of utilities for a specific period of time while learning ways to conserve energy. Services also include a case management program with the goal of transitioning families off welfare by providing assistance with the cost of expenses such as education, training and other necessary supplies and supportive services.
Each client situation is evaluated through an application process and the appropriate program service is then determined. Individual goals and objectives are identified as well as techniques for budgeting and energy conservation which will transition the client from poverty and/or address crisis situations.
|Household Size||Maximum Income Level (Per Year)*|
|Families with more than 8 persons||Add $7,710 for each additional person|
|* Subject to change annually. Eligibility for CEAP is calculated at 150% of Federal Poverty Guidelines. Amounts listed above effective January 23, 2023.|
Applications & Forms
Important Contact Information
Texoma Council of Governments
ATTN: Energy Services
1117 Gallagher Drive, Suite 200
Sherman, TX 75090
- Main Phone
(903) 893-2161 ext. 3541 - Utility Assistance
(903) 893-2161 ext. 3530 - Weatherization Assistance
- Email Address
[email protected] - Utility Assistance
[email protected] - Weatherization Assistance
- Apply Online
- To complete an application online, please visit this link. To print and complete an application by mail, download an application.
- Application for Utility Assistance
- Application for Utility Assistance en Español
- Declaration of Income Statement
- Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) System Application Certification Form for WAP and CEAP
- Application for Weatherization Assistance
- Household Demographics
- Complaint Policy
Proof of income for all household members over the age of 18 for the previous thirty (30) days.
Provide the income that applies to your household.
- If paid weekly, four (4) current check stubs
- If paid bi-weekly, two (2) current check stubs
- If paid monthly, one (1) current check stub
- Social Security Award Letter for current year
- Retirement Income Letter for current year
- VA award letter for current year
- TANF printout for previous thirty (30) days
- Child Support Letter (showing how much you receive on a monthly basis)
- Unemployment printout (showing how much you have received in the past 30 days)
- Documentation of any other income received in your household for the past thirty days
- Electricity bill
- Gas bill
- Propane bill
- US Passport
- US American Indian or Alaska Native, tribal enrollment or membership card with photo
- Birth Certificate or Birth Record
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Drivers License or Texas ID
- US Military or Military Dependent ID
- Government Employee ID (City, County, State or Federal)
- Concealed Handgun
All pages (front and back) of your current utility bills.
Proof of Citizenship for ALL household members by providing one (1) of the following documents:
Proof of Identity for Adult (18 and older) household members by providing one (1) form of identification:
Meet the Team
Energy Services Director
Utility Assistance Program Manager
Frequently Asked Questions
- If the application is complete
- How quickly customers respond to requests for missing documentation
- Verification of account information
- The number of applications received
- Photo ID of all persons living in the household
- Birth certificates of all persons living in the household
- Income documentation for all adults 18 and over living in the household (check stubs, Social Security award letter, VA award letter, etc.)
- TANF documentation
- Current gas, propane or electric bill
TCOG Energy Services
1117 Gallagher Drive, Suite 200
Sherman, TX 75090
- The Energy Services Program is federally-funded and administered by TCOG. Services are not emergency assistance or an entitlement program.
- Assistance is subject to availability of funds. Submitting an application is not a guarantee of assistance.
- The average time to process an application for utility assistance is approximately 8 weeks.
- Households must meet 2023 Federal Income Guidelines and live in one of the TCOG service areas. For a complete list of counties served visit: www.tcog.com/energy-services/#energy.
- TCOG will not secure any financial assistance or make payments until the application process is completed.
- Applicants are fully responsible any bill(s) and fees accrued before, during and after the application and eligibility determination process. Nonpayment of a bill can result in an interruption of services or disconnection.
- TCOG will not pay any late fees, deposits, reconnect charges. Applicants/clients are responsible paying fees associated with accounts.
- Utility Assistance provides assistance for electric, gas and propane bills only.
- Fees for text messages received from TCOG are the responsibility of the applicant/client.
- Client are responsible for notifying TCOG Energy Services of changes that could affect service delivery or payment to an account including but not limited to: change of account number, change of utility provider, change of address, telephone number or email address.